Friday, March 17, 2017

To All Who Come To This Happy Place, My Apologies: A Brief Introduction


“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a … condor?” 
-Literally no one ever

Oh look! A blog from some random nerd reviewing movies - what a novel concept!

Well, maybe not, but I have a reason for starting this little endeavor. Here’s the mission statement: to watch (or re-watch) and review all of the two-hundred-something Disney movies I've accumulated before my family’s vacation to Walt Disney World in January 2018.

Hey, I didn’t say it was a good reason.

Like many folks growing up in the 80s and 90s, I watched Disney movies and television, and visited Disneyland religiously (wouldn’t get to Walt Disney World until I was 32, with my wife and year-old daughter). I have made it a hobby to read all about Walt Disney and the history of the company he created. There are many books and blogs that have expanded my knowledge and appreciation for most things Disney (many of which I may try to point readers toward in the future), including some of the more obscure films and TV specials that have gone under the radar over the years. I plan on reviewing some of these obscurities before we’re through, along with sharing my thoughts on the more well-known cash cows that we’re all familiar with.

While I consider myself something of an armchair Disney historian, let me say that I am in no way claiming to be an expert on anything I review. Nor am I going to attempt any in-depth critical analysis or production histories for anything I watch. It’s all going to be completely subjective reactions, totally biased and swayed by nostalgia, personal taste and mood. Sounds like a fun read, huh? Any comment, discussion or debate is welcomed, as I love to talk about this stuff with anyone interested.

I’m not sure if the blog will continue or not after I've accomplished this mission (mission's a strong word ... attempt?) - we’ll have to wait and see what the future holds. Mysterious, no?

Anyhow, enough of my yappin’. It’s time to stop writing about myself and … start writing my opinions. 


5/9/17 Update:
Well, I'm apparently a big fat failure. After a little more than a month of reviewing at a breakneck pace, I've started to feel a bit burned out.

When I started this blog, I hadn't actually worked out exactly how many movies I would need to watch and review each month in order to have all 210 (or so) posts up by the first week of 2018.

Turns out it was a lot more than I'd expected. In order to finish by the end of the year, I would need to publish between 22 and 26 posts a month - nearly one each day. What the hell had I gotten myself into?

Well, I gave it the old school try, and for all of April I kept up with my schedule, more or less. But soon I discovered that watching the movies, writing about them, putting together and editing each blog post was taking up every second of the limited spare time I have. In more ways than I care to think about, this review blog had quickly come to consume most of my life.

So when blogging starts to adversely affect other areas of one's life, I believe it's prudent to pull back and re-evaluate. I've come to immensely enjoy writing these reviews (my increasingly long-winded posts prove this,) and have some wonderful and loyal readers. I plan to continue updating this blog at a much more leisurely pace - hopefully one or maybe two reviews a week. Unfortunately, this means I won't have everything watched and reviewed before the family trip to Walt Disney World.

Oh well. Things don't always turn out exactly as planned.


9/6/18 Update:
It's the end.

But the moment has been prepared for…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment